I feel that, for the most part, the professor's statement of "there are no boring books there are only boring people" is true. I blame myself for not putting the extra effort into finishing the Brother's Karamazov. It is halfway through the last week in the year and I am only on page 255. It is not that I haven't enjoyed the story or that I could not relate to the characters because the truth is quite contrary. I have found I empathize greatly with each of the characters especially Father Karamazov. Instead it is because I chose to spend my time indulging in activities that do not make me more interesting. I let myself get caught up in this tragic sense of life and lost sight of where I was heading. I've dropped classes, skipped others, and haven't read much at all this semester and its because I chose to disengage from the world. My biggest regret is not participating more in this class. I love creative writing and feel I really missed an opportunity here to become better at it.
This semester has had me rethinking a lot about the way I go about things. I have always thought of my true self as the little voice in my head that creates ideas and speaks aloud but the statement "How do I know what I think till I see what I say?" has really bugged me. At first I brushed it off as nonsense and tried to put it out of my head but it persisted. I thought it was ridiculous that the words my mind was deciding to put on paper could be different from what I was thinking. I began actually looking back at my sentences and words as if I had not written them and it wasn't until that moment that I'd realized what an incomplete idea of myself I had had all these years. Unfortunately this realization has come much too late for me to take advantage of in this class.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment